Monday, September 27, 2004

German Personality

I was talking with Emily and her friends this weekend about speaking in German (actually, I was talking about speaking in German and they were talking about speaking in French). We almost concluded that it is much more difficult to have a personality in your second language. We are trying to do so, but it is frustrating to have a deep conversation or joke in German. I haven't yet made deep conversation in German, but today I made my first real German joke.

It probably won't make sense...it's more like an inside joke...but I'll try to relate it:

We were on our way to a meeting with the Polizei (police) at Oktoberfest. It ended up being a lecture about random police statistics, but we weren't really sure at the time why we were going to Oktoberfest. Lena (the primary administrator of my program) was leading the way. I am really afraid of speaking in front of her so far because I think that she'll think I'm stupid. She's never said a word of English to us and her German is perfect (and easy to understand because she has an American accent). Now that I think about it, I don't think Lena really laughed at my joke, but she was laughing more at the fact that I was wicked excited about making a joke in German ( I just used the word 'wicked' -lol- I learned it from my new friend from New Hampshire -lol).

ME: Wir treffen dem Polizei zu trinken, oder?
Lena: Ja, ja in ein Beirzelt.
(Laughter)
ME: Hey, hey...I just made a joke auf Deutsch!! Kaum zu glauben!
(More laughter)

This will probably not make any sense to anyone but myself....sorry! The point is that I made a joke in German.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that was pretty clever or shall I say..."mit beibendem Witz!"

Anonymous said...

That was a pretty clever CoolJ or shall I say, "mit beibendem Witz!"

Anonymous said...

What is it with people from New Hampshire saying "wicked"? My teacher says that too, and it's just plain wrong.